Sunday, September 2, 2007

A Missed Opportunity?

I'm not going to lie to y'all. Most everything related to Mike Huckabee in this blog is positive. However I must ask a big question tonight that I am concerned about.

Yesterday (as well as Friday) a straw poll event was held in Texas. The only viable GOP candidates to appear were Hunter and Paul. None of the major candidates showed up. I was very interested in finding out the results of a poll that Mike did not show up at. Well you get what you ask for I suppose:

Duncan Hunter: 534
Fred Thompson: 266
Ron Paul: 217
Mike Huckabee: 83
Rudy Giuliani: 78
Mitt Romney: 61
Ray McKinney: 28
John Cox: 10
John McCain: 8
Sam Brownback: 6
Tom Tancredo: 6
Hugh Cort: 3

The first thing I was looking for was where did Mike Huckabee place? He placed 4th. I suppose that can be a positive thing if I'm grasping at straws. Now that we know who won look above and see who did win. Hunter won and he deserved to since he showed up. Congratulations to Duncan. I respect him a lot. He is someone I'd actually consider voting for next November if it came to that.

I am really concerned that this was a missed opportunity for Mike. I understand what he was trying to accomplish this weekend in fundraising. I'd be a little less distressed if the winner was Rudy or Mitt. What we're looking at is a poll Mike could have won because of who did actually win. I think Mike could have won over at least half of Hunters votes, among others who finished lower in the field.

One one hand Texas is not as important in the GOP primary process because the state did not move its primary back to February like most others have done. However, at this point in the game I can't see any of the major nominees winning enough delegates to gain the GOP nomination. Texas has a ton of delegates (I don't know the exact number). We don't know today, but getting the GOP nomination might mean winning Texas. Of course I could be worrying for nothing but we just don't know at this point. Each region of the country right now seems to have its favored candidate or set of candidates. There is no consensus yet. Of course this is the evening before Labor Day. Things can really change. I just think that it would have been nice for Mike to be able to go down and spend a few hours there yesterday. However he's dealing with the same problems we do with traveling because he does not have enough money to travel anywhere in a quick manner. That's probably part of the reason why Mike did not make it down there this weekend.

What do you think folks? Am I worrying for nothing , or do I have a valid concern?

5 comments:

Daddy Sloane said...

I am sure Mike sent his Texas organization to represent at the straw poll...oh wait...

DR said...

I could not agree more with you and Daddy Sloane. Don't forget it was Republicans just going along with President Bush that lead to some of the mistakes that cost us the Senate and the House. Constructive descent can be very helpful.

OneMom said...

It was the Texas straw poll guys ... truly no big deal in the big scheme of things (seems like every state has had one since Iowa). The time fundraising and prepping for the NH debate was a much better use of Governor Huckabee's time and resources.

At least Duncan can say he won something in this campaign (hey, I was shocked that the Paulies didn't walk away with the whole thing, since he's from Texas ... pretty sad for him).

BDBopper said...

Thanks for your comment, One mom. You're right. I feel much better about things now.

Dr. Mark Byron said...

I think he did better being 4th, ahead of the big boys, without trying, than going all out winning against the lightweights. As is, he can claim he did better than the leading candidates on a level playing field.

The Kentucky straw poll, where he was in the mix with the main pack, is even better news.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online