Wednesday, July 23, 2008

HUCKPAC'S VERTICAL DAY - Lamar Alexander On Life

the man famous for campaigning in plaid shirts, Tennessee Senator Lamar Alexander is back to blog again as the sun sets on Vertical Day.  This time Senator Alexander talks about his pro-life stance: 

I'm pro-life, and I know that many of you share my deep and abiding respect for life in all of its forms.


I continue to believe what women in crisis need most is our care and support. I support adoption as an alternative to abortion and encourage efforts to make adopting a child easier. And I've fought in the Senate for numerous pro-life measures.


I cosponsored the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 to end that dreadful and unnecessary procedure. And, through that law was challenged in federal courts, I was heartened that the U.S. Supreme Court did the right thing last year by upholding the ban.


I supported the Unborn Victims of Violence Act – also known as Laci and Conner’s Law – which made it a criminal offense to injure or kill a fetus during the commission of a violent crime against a pregnant woman.

And I was proud to cosponsor and vote for the Child Custody Protection Act, a measure which would make it a federal offense to transport a minor across state lines to obtain an abortion if the intent is to circumvent a parental notification or consent law in the state where the minor lives. In many cases, we’re talking about girls who couldn’t even go on a school field trip without a parent’s permission. And I firmly believe that a young lady should have her parent’s involvement in such a life-changing decision.


Despite strong bipartisan support in both chambers and Senate approval by a vote of 65-34, this bill never became law because the Democratic leadership in the Senate refused to allow the two Houses to meet and agree to a final version to send to the President for his signature.


The inexcusable lack of progress on the Child Custody Protection Act demonstrates how badly our nation needs leaders who share our commitment to the culture of life. If you'd like to learn more, I'd encourage you to visit LamarAlexander.com and sign up to join my team.

Even though the sun is now setting into the West, there are still 3-4 hours left in Vertical Day and more posts coming up.  Please stay tuned and do go click the links and comment to these wonderful supporters and candidates!  They deserve our support! 

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online