Friday, November 16, 2007

Dedication

True dedication. I had no idea what that meant until today. Lisa Chambers & I with Gwinnett County For Mike Huckabee, spent one hour at the busy intersection of Lawrenceville-Suwanee and Highway 120 in Lawrenceville, GA waving Mike Huckabee signs. Fortunately we got some much needed rain down here as a cold front raced through Wednesday night. However the front brought some cold weather for this part of the country.

After a nice lunch at IHOP Lisa dropped me off at my corner and she drove to hers (the intersection is really wide). I could tell already that this was indeed a challenge. The temperature was no higher than 50 degrees. To make matters worse it was quite breezy and the winds gusted several times (which meant the wind chill made it feel more like freezing). I had two official signs and another one advertising the campaign website (which Lisa made). Fortunately the sign Lisa made was rigid enough for me to hold onto however I had to use it as a buffer for the other two signs or they would have blown away onto the street to be run over (or cause an accident).

How was the response? Lisa said that she got a lot of thumbs up from the cars that passed. I suppose that things were the same at my corner but I can't see well enough to tell those things. I did get several honks from cars that went by, and a huge blast from a Rooms to Go truck!

Honestly my feelings are mixed. I am glad that we made some kind of impact out there. However I am somewhat disappointed that there were not more of us. I would have liked to know the feedback I was getting that I couldn't see. At times I felt lonely out there especially when no one was honking at me and the wind was howling and doing its best to knock me down. My morale was really low by the time Lisa picked me back up and dropped me off at my house. I was freezing. In fact I am still shivering even in my warm room. Do I regret it at all? No, of course not! Would I do it again? Yes! But for now I'm going to snuggle in my warm bed and get some sleep. My feet are killing me!

Good night!

PS: Thanks Lisa for your help today! It is always a pleasure working beside you in our efforts to get Mike elected!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online