Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Thought For Today - Don't Vote For the Lesser of Two Evils

I was just sitting at the breakfast table. My dad was sleeping so I decided not to turn on the TV. So I am eating and doing some thinking. My reflection turned towards a phrase you are going to hear a lot when we get close to electing our next president. that phrase s "I'm Voting for the lesser of two evils" or something to that extent. Everyone who thinks they are doing as such and does not think they have another choice should be physically barred from voting. If you vote for the lesser of two evils instead of voting on principle and what you believe in you are abusing your democratic privilege. You might as well stay home because you will be contributing an equal amount to the process as if you would be by voting for the lesser of two evils.

There are many things you could do instead. There are a plethora of third party options on that ballot you are going to read for President. Go do your homework and find the candidate that most matches what you would want in your President. Be an informed voter (and this doesn't go just for President - this goes all the way down to school board or those pesky ballot initiatives) and don't listen to the morons who say you are throwing away your vote. They are full of Bull Crap! By voting (and making an informed decision in doing so) for a third party instead of the lesser of two evils you would be making your choice with you heart and with your principles. Someone who does that is never throwing their vote away. Gosh even if you can't find someone to identify with, use the write-in option. It's much better than staying home because there are other contests you will need to make a choice on. Trust me, while the vote for President is important your life will be much more affected by who you elect to Congress, Governor, and state/local official.

Take if from a person who spent all summer and fall of 2000 researching and making a decision so I could make the right choice when I voted for the first time (I was 18). I marched in that voting booth and voted for Harry Browne (the Libertarian). I did so because I couldn't stand Gore or Bush and I thought Harry Browne would do a much better job. I also agreed with him on the issues more. Then I got my sticker and marched triumphantly out of the voting precinct and I wore that sucker for a week (until it fell off my chest)!

Don't get me wrong. Am I advising you that voting for McCain or Obama (or Clinton) is a waste. No. If you honestly believe that one of them will do a better job than anyone else in the field and your choice matches your principles than voting for either ofthem is the right thing to do. But voting just for voting sake is wrong and you might as well just stay home.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online