Friday, June 6, 2008

BUSTED: The Huckabee-Evangelical Myth

I am a proud Christian and a definitely follower of Jesus Christ. However I don't consider myself an Evangelical by any means. It is now a political buzzword with very negative connotations. I refuse to be placed in that box especially as I am not socially conservative. It offended me greatly to be denounced as an "Evangelical" because I was a supporter of Governor Mike Huckabee's presidential campaign.

Time and time again the media pidgeonholed us Huckabee supporters as being only Evangelicals. ^That was not the case as you can tell just by my discussion of this matter. Thankfully Lester Feder of the Columbia Journalism Review has busted that myth by looking even closer at the exit polls from the primary season (and his personal experience following the Huckabee campaign). Not only did the majority of evangelicals fail to get on the Huckabee bandwagon but a higher percentage of Huckabee's support came from the poor (I can vouch for that as I match that description). Also found is that while many evangelicals did support Huckabee they supported him for other reasons (other than social issues). Another interesting find is that more and more evangelicals are not even Republicans anymore. Check out the interesting and informative article HERE.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online